TL;DR: The BLUE TEAM won! Congratulations 🎉
More detailed results and the prize winners below.
After a frantic 48h with 136 registered teams submitting a total of 1,769 point-scoring social media posts across the Internet, we have a winner: The BLUE TEAM!
It was a tight and close competition with the RED TEAM in the lead for a long time, but in the end, Ara Jüu Ultimate Frisbee Club gave the highly entertaining (go check it out, we’ll wait) final push for the BLUE victory!
We have been over the moon with all the submissions and very grateful for all your messages sharing with us how much fun you have had. While it has been a lot of posts to comb through, it has given us also immense joy and we want to thank you all for participating and making this such an amazing event—dare we say the world’s biggest flying disc event of 2020? 😉
With all this amazing content celebrating SOTG and the joy of flying discs, there have also been some hiccups. Ranging from teams struggling with challenge submission, to challenge guideline questions to un-viewable posts, some of this resulted in a fair amount of extra work on our end. Something that we definitely will need to streamline and clarify the next time.
At the same time, in terms of content posted, the rules clearly allowed for some creativity and most teams were very spirited. Sadly some players/teams (you know who you are!) went a little further than that, which came across as bad faith and we want to remind especially them that SOTG is about the shared joy, mutual respect, communication and being honest, rather than winning at all costs.
If you have not submitted it yet, please help us track on the progress of SOTG by filling this short survey:
We’d like to thank:
- All you 524 players that have participated!
- Our amazing sponsors that have agreed to sponsor some prizes despite the difficult business year (see list below)! You rock!
- Ultimate Canada for the inspiration doing a scavenger hunt used at this year’s annual Art Hawkins’ Great Canadian Race. Thanks, ey!
And here all the awesome sponsors for the prizes:
And because we all love game stats, here a few interesting stats for all of us.
Flying Disc Disciplines
The participants in this event have previously played 12 flying disc sports (official WFDF disciplines in bold). Looks like we only missed the Guts 💪 players:
- Beach Ultimate
- Disc Golf
- Double Disc Court
- Elimination 8s
- Indoor Ultimate
- Maximum Time Aloft (Overall)
We had 37 countries represented, a truly global affair!
- Italy, Canada and Turkey scored the most points in total.
- Italy, Canada and U.S.A. fielded the most teams.
- Finland, Uruguay and Austria fielded the most effective teams.
We’ve had players speaking at least these 26 languages:
Social Media Platforms
In terms of social media, we’re clearly an Instagram crowd:
Most & Least Popular Challenges
Which challenges garnered most and least submissions?
Thanks all for spreading the gratitude and calling your role models to thank them for all their efforts. ❤️
Highest & Lowest Scoring Challenges
Which challenges delivered in total most and least points?
Clearly it’s preferred to use discs to balance drinks to using that very same disc to throw it with precision into a hoop. 😜
Most & Least Exciting Challenges
Which challenges gave most and least submissions that we wanted to highlight?
Highest Scoring Submissions
These submissions rewarded the teams with most points:
|1||Brixton Ultimate||54 #PingPongPot||60|
|2||Illegal Smile||20 #BalancingAct||40|
|3||Nuclear Discs||20 #BalancingAct||37|
|4||Nullacht! BLACK||20 #BalancingAct||30|
|5||Curve Your Enthusiasm||20 #BalancingAct||28|
|6||Kus Plastu||20 #BalancingAct||25|
|8||Nullacht! WHITE||20 #BalancingAct||22|
|9||RED Ramses||20 #BalancingAct||21|
|Kus Plastu||54 #PingPongPot||20|
|Raisin Hell||54 #PingPongPot||20|
|14||Frozen Recycleland Barbequers||20 #BalancingAct||19|
|15||Reading Ultimate||20 #BalancingAct||17|
|16||Ugly Ardvaark Raving Team||01 #ThanksCoach||16|
|(Any submitting team)||19 #PoseChallenge||16|
|Brixton Ultimate||20 #BalancingAct||16|
|The Viking Jammers||20 #BalancingAct||15|
Once again, a massive thanks to our sponsors!
Challenges and Honorable Mentions
At this point we’d like to point out that a lot of really awesome challenges we cannot link to anymore, because the links submitted broke or the content is not available anymore. This is a real pity and hopefully next year we’ll all manage to avoid this loss of amazing creativity.
- #ThanksCoach Call a disc sport coach or role model in your life and thank them for everything that they do. Leaving a voicemail does not count. After you’ve spoken to them, share a picture or video of them.
- #LayoutVideo Post a video of a teammate laying out for a disc. Double points if it’s into water, like a pool or lake.
- #SpiritDress Choose a color from the SOTG logo. Dress head to toe in that color and post a picture. Include which aspect of SOTG it is.
- #VertStack: Without using any connectors or adhesives, create a vertical stack of discs 2 meters tall for 5 points, 3 meters tall for 10 points. Measuring tape required for proof.
- #SpiritCheer Create and record a SOTG-themed cheer with your team and post a video.
- Ara Jüu Ultimate Frisbee wrote a song for Manu Chao.
- #GottaCatchEmAll Post a photo with many different types of discs. 1 point for every disc for a different WFDF sport, and 10 points if you have all 7 disciplines. Sorry, disc golfers – different brands or types of drivers or putters don’t count; sorry ultimaters – neither do different ultimate discs. (You can include other disc types to be extra cool, but they don’t score points.)
- #ISawTheSign Create and then put a iSOTGDay or SOTG sign bigger than a single sheet of paper in a window where others can see it. Take a picture or video.
- Frozen Recycleland Barbequeuers hopefully left their sign up with all the other Christmas decorations.
- #WaterHucket Post a video of a team member getting a bucket of water emptied over their head. You don’t have to make the water cold… we’re in a pandemic!
- Stack the Stats took advantage of hemispherical temperature differences.
- #SpiritTalk In a video of less than 30 seconds, explain Spirit of the Game in your native language. (Please correct us, if we misidentified any language or if any of the videos is not good as we don’t speak all the languages…)
- Corsican was posted by Ara Jüu Ultimate Frisbee
- English was posted by Blackfish RED
- Finnish was posted by Jollu’s People
- French was posted by Ara Jüu Ultimate Frisbee
- German was posted by Brixton Ultimate, CUT The Mustard, Nesthuckers
- Hungarian was posted by CUT Above the Rest
- Italian was posted by CIUF CIUF, CUSB Shout, DiscUnderSpirit, La Bassa Stagione, Smells Like Team Spirit, Young Skunks
- Lithuanian (?) was posted by DTS Ultimate
- Norwegian was posted by Ekeberg Sendeplateklubb
- Portuguese was posted by Halflings, Women in Sports Allies
- Sardinian was posted by Pippiu o muranda? No è Ichnos!
- Slovakian (?) was posted by Kus Plastu
- Slovenian (?) was posted by Nuclear Discs
- Spanish was posted by Charrúa, Curve your Enthusiasm, Malón, Release the Kraken
- Turkish (?) was posted by Caddebostan Olympics Red, Old Ducks, RED Ramses, Young Ducks
- Unidentified Eastern European (?) language was posted by Nullacht! BLACK
- Unidentified South (?) Italian (?) language was posted by Pulliesi
- #HeelToeExpress Create a very long row of cleats (heel to toe). The picture must include a measuring tape for proof of length. Also, please write the length (in cm) in the description. (Don’t meet to share shoes if it’s not safe.)
- #ThrowRunCatch What’s the maximum distance you can run to catch your own throw? Post the video. From USAU Skills Challenge, if you’re good, consider entering a WFDF Overall competition.
- Old Ducks definitely have the skillz to consider Overall or Freestyle once the Young Ducks are getting too young.
- #BlindArt While blindfolded, draw the logo of your team OR the WFDF logo OR the SOTG logo. Post a picture of your drawing. Picture should include the original logo as well.
- Lights Out might be considering changing their name to Lights On.
- #IceBoxedOut Empty your refrigerator of everything but one disc. Take a selfie in front of the open refrigerator to prove it only has a disc inside. Must be a full-size fridge.
- #BakeOff Bake a large cookie, cake, or other desserts, and decorate it to look like a disc you own. Side by side picture required.
- #ShareTheSpirit Make a donation to a disc sport organization, in any amount, in honor of Spirit of the Game. Post proof (you can obscure personally identifying information).
- #ISpyDisc A disc with the word “SPIRIT” on it. Take a picture.
- #DoTheGADance Choreograph a dance using at least 5 game advisor hand-signals. Minimum 30 seconds long. Post a video of at least 2 team members doing the dance.
- #SpinDoctor Using a stopwatch, time how long you can continuously spin the disc on your finger. Post the video. From USAU Skills Challenge, if you’re good, consider entering a WFDF Freestyle competition.
- Charrúa won this elegantly by spinning way over 5minutes not getting bored, like Release the Kraken. Well done.
- The Aloha Jammers helped all of us to understand Freestyle better, like padiddling.
- Others went about this challenge differently, like Nullacht! White, CUSB Shout, Blue Ramses and Nullacht! Black
- #PoseChallenge Create a #posechallenge video using pictures of teammates during a disc sport game. Here are examples: example 1, example 2.
- #BalancingAct Fit as many drinks on a disc as possible. Post a picture or video of one person holding the disc and the drinks steady with one hand.
- Illegal Smile managed to balance 40 drinks, while Nuclear Discs did 37.
- Curve Your Enthusiasm made this nice and easy for us. Thanks!
- And here you see our very own Travis testing the challenges for Frozen Recycleland Barbequeuers.
- #Twinning Find the social media pages for disc sport teams that share the same name, but are from different countries. Submit screenshots. If possible, tag the teams in your post. Max 3 sets.
- #OldSchoolCheer As a team, write an old school Ultimate cheer for another participating team and post a video performing it.
- #OnTarget Create a target by marking an X on an object. Hit the target with a disc from a minimum of 8 meters away. Post the video. From USAU Skills Challenge
- #ISpyBike A bicycle with a basket or gear rack. Take a picture.
- #FlipToss Flip a disc from one hand (below your stomach) and catch it in your other hand (above your head). How many disc flips can you complete in 1 minute? Post the video. From USAU Skills Challenge, demo here.
- #ScrabbleSOTG Set-up a scrabble board or another word tile game with “WFDF” “International” “Spirit” “Of” “The” “Game” “Day” as words that have been played legally
- #InOneWord Call, text or email a parent or equivalent older family member. Ask them what word best described their reaction when you told them about playing Freestyle, Ultimate Frisbee, Disc Golf, Guts, Double Disc Court, or Overall. Post their answer.
- #AlligatorSpins Toss a disc in the air, turn 360 degrees, then catch the disc. In 30 seconds, how many toss-spin-catches can you make? Post the video. From USAU Skills Challenge, if you’re good, consider entering a WFDF Freestyle competition.
- #DiscCarded Make an Pokemon- or Magic-style card of one of your team members. It must include an image of the player, name, team name, powers/effects, and a fun fact.
- #SnailMail Send a postcard to another team participating in this scavenger hunt. Post a picture of the postcard, showing that it has a valid stamp.
- #ISpyBronze A bronze medal from a WFDF event. Take a picture. Picture must include a note with today’s date and the name of the team that won it. You can ask a non-team-member friend for help on this one.
- #CatchTheBus Set up two cones 10 meters apart. How many sprints from cone to cone can you complete in a minute? Post the video. From USAU Skills Challenge
- #ShirtRainbow Make a rainbow out of disc sport jerseys. Post a picture.
- #FlashbackEvidence Post the oldest disc sport picture you can find that has at least 2 of your team members in it
- #PoemHuck Write a poem about a disc sport (min 50 words).
- #Flatball3Pointer Take a video of a team member throwing a disc into in a basketball basket (or equivalent with Hunt Advisors’ approval) from a minimum of 7 meters away.
- #SpiritMascot Take a picture of a pet participating in today’s iSOTGDay activities
- #DiscliciousSandwich Make an local traditional sandwich and serve it on a disc. Post a picture with a caption of what type of sandwich it is. Note: A hot dog is not a sandwich.
- There was too much deliciousness for us to decide, what to highlight.
- #ISpyAward A spirit award that you have won. Post a picture.
- #ConeStatue Using only field cones/markers, create a statue. Post a picture or video.
- Daft Lads 05 won this challenge with an elaborate construction.
- Pyramids were popular, like this simple one from Brixton Ultimate, or the more elaborate one from Buzz the Tower. Towers were popular too, like this from Nuclear Discs, Smells like Team Spirit and Illegal Smile.
- Ottawashers made a social distancing mascot, while Release the Kraken may have understood the challenge differently.
- #GetSocial Find and “like” or “follow” three disc sport programs or teams, from three different continents. Include a screenshot of each.
- #OldJersey Take a picture of you wearing the oldest disc sport jersey you own. Include the year in the caption.
- #DiScene Using Lego, playdough, or other craft supplies, build a miniature disc sport scene.
- Caddebostan Olympics RED combined discs with Star Wars.
- Illegal Smile made an Ultimate version of Space Jam.
- Nesthuckers made a disc golf scene.
- Ottawashers spent a lot of time to get the details right.
- Smells Like Team Spirit reminded us of our nightmares.
- Spikeball Dance Class decided to use chillies.
- Szufla even included Game Advisors.
- #UltimateComedian Tell us your best disc sport joke. Keep it family-friendly, please.
- #ISpyFlag A real (not digital) flag of a disc sport organization. Take a picture.
- #TeaParty Set up a doll/stuffed animal tea party and include at least one disc.
- #TourneyThrowback Post a picture from the first tournament you ever attended. Add a caption of the tournament and place held.
- #OutdoorArt Go for a run/walk and create route art using an external GPS app. Post a screenshot. Minimum 1 km distance.
- #SpiritDisc Design your very own spirit disc – who knows, we may even use your design in the future!
- #ISpyMask A sign telling you to “Wear a Mask”. Take a picture of the sign and you wearing a mask.
- #AcrosticDay Write an acrostic (words or sentences) using the letters “iSOTGDay”
- #SmellsLikeTeamSpirit Post a single picture that has one or more Spirit Captains or Spirit Directors in it. Tag the people in it.
- #PackingList Using only items that you would normally bring with, receive, use, or eat at, a disc sport tournament, spell out “Spirit” or “SOTG”. Take a picture or video.
- #PingPongPot Bounce a ping pong ball off of a minimum of 3 discs and then into a pot.
- #Trickster Submit a video of your teams’ trickiest trick shot.
- #ISpyAnimal A disc with an animal on it. Take a picture.
- Young Ducks’ submission clearly stood out here.
- #LaundryDay Set up a laundry basket at least 3 meters away. Make up to 20 consecutive throws into the laundry basket. Post the video.
- #CouldBeWorse What’s the worst photo you have of you with a disc? Must NOT be a photo taken for this hunt. Credit to Kyle
And now, while everybody is a winner, some winners are lucky to also get one of the prizes from our awesome sponsors:
Top Scoring Team
The top-scoring team wins 7x SOTG Pro Revolution, SOTG Pixel Tank or SOTG Pixel LS from VC Ultimate, which goes to Brixton Ultimate! Congratulations.
Highest Points per Player (PPP)
The team with the highest points per player receives 1 pair of SOTG-themed Friction Gloves, which goes to Ara Jüu Ultimate Frisbee Club! Congratulations.
For the additional prizes we have run a raffle with the following result:
- SOTG-themed towels from Greatest Bag go to Nullacht! WHITE (GER)
- Hucket Bucket discounts go to Flow Junior Wrocław (POL)
- 4 pairs of Universe Point cleats go to La Bassa Stagione (ITA)
- 7 pairs of SOTG-themed socks from Tokay go to Illegal Smile (CAN)
- 2 pairs of gloves from Layout Ultimate go to Sky This Warsaw (POL)
We will be in touch with all the winners by email to help with the awards. Once you all receive the awards, please take a picture and share it with your and our social media tagging the sponsors as well. Thanks!
And finally the full glory team results (sorting by points » players » name).
Most points scored:
- First: Brixton Ultimate
- Second: Reading Ultimate, Illegal Smile, QuorumTeam
Having 7 (or 6) players seems to be a recipe for more points. 😜
Most challenges submitted:
- First: Reading Ultimate, Brixton Ultimate
- Third: Ara Jüu Ultimate Frisbee Club, Illegal Smile
Clearly doing more challenges was needed for a higher score.
Most average points per challenge (PPC):
- First: SOTG Committee
- Second: KEMRI
- Third: Ekho Ultimate
Here the trick seemed to have been to only submit two challenges. Also, yay us! 🤪
Most challenges per player (CPP):
- First: Ara Jüu Ultimate Frisbee Club
- Second: CUSB Shout
- Third: Hunter Flamingos, Go Go Grapes
The thin Bolivian air must be helping the one player to move at supernatural speed to complete 38 challenges per player, in comparison, the second and third completed 8+ challenges per player. 🤘
Most points per player (PPP):
- First: Ara Jüu Ultimate Frisbee Club
- Second: Hunter Flamingos
- Third: CUSB Shout
And of course the points per player correlate with the challenges per player…
Best Teams per Region:
- Africa: Blackfish RED (KEN), KEMRI (KEN), Blackfish BLUE (KEN)
- Americas: Illegal Smile (CAN), QuorumTeam (CAN), Ara Jüu Ultimate Frisbee Club (BOL)
- Asia-Oceania: Wasabi (JPN), Spirited Away (NZL), A+P+H (AUS)
- Europe: Brixton Ultimate (GBR), Reading Ultimate (GBR), SPIRITOSI (ITA)
- International Teams: Release the Kraken!, Women in Sport Allies, Stack the Stats
|1||Brixton Ultimate||7||United Kingdom||RED||280.0||41||6.8||5.9||40.0|
|2||Reading Ultimate||6||United Kingdom||RED||230.0||41||5.6||6.8||38.3|
|7||Smells Like Team Spirit||7||Italy||BLUE||202.0||37||5.5||5.3||28.9|
|8||CUT Above the Rest||7||Hungary||RED||193.0||35||5.5||5.0||27.6|
|10||Ara Jüu Ultimate Frisbee Club||1||Bolivia||BLUE||185.0||38||4.9||38.0||185.0|
|12||Caddebostan Olympics RED||5||Turkey||RED||183.0||37||4.9||7.4||36.6|
|14||Buzz the Tower||5||Canada||BLUE||178.0||34||5.2||6.8||35.5|
|16||Release the Kraken!||6||Singapore, South Africa, U.S.A.||BLUE||176.0||36||4.9||6.0||29.3|
|18||La Bassa Stagione||5||Italy||RED||167.0||29||5.7||5.8||33.3|
|Daft Lads 05||6||Scotland||RED||167.0||28||5.9||4.7||27.8|
|23||Ashton Court Angels||7||United Kingdom||BLUE||159.0||30||5.3||4.3||22.7|
|Curve Your Enthusiasm||7||United Kingdom||BLUE||159.0||28||5.7||4.0||22.6|
|31||Frozen Recycleland Barbequers||4||Canada||RED||142.0||21||6.7||5.3||35.4|
|38||Women in Sport Allies||3||U.S.A., Brazil||RED||119.0||22||5.4||7.3||39.7|
|39||Go Go Grapes||3||Scotland||RED||118.0||25||4.7||8.3||39.4|
|43||Flow Junior Wrocław||6||Poland||BLUE||111.0||23||4.8||3.8||18.5|
|45||Code RED||5||United Kingdom||BLUE||105.0||19||5.5||3.8||21.0|
|47||Pepè le pew||6||Italy||RED||103.0||21||4.9||3.5||17.2|
|Spirited Away||7||New Zealand||BLUE||103.0||23||4.5||3.3||14.7|
|49||Pippiu o muranda?No è Ichnos!||5||Italy||BLUE||100.0||16||6.3||3.2||20.0|
|50||Ugly Ardvaark Raving Team||4||Germany||RED||99.0||19||5.2||4.8||24.8|
|54||Caddebostan Olympics BLUE||4||Turkey||BLUE||88.0||17||5.2||4.3||22.0|
|58||The Flying Fluffbergs||4||Portugal||BLUE||80.0||16||5.0||4.0||20.0|
|59||Stack The Stats||7||Canada, Philippines, Australia, U.S.A.||RED||79.0||17||4.6||2.4||11.3|
|61||CUT the Mustard||6||Hungary||BLUE||76.0||14||5.4||2.3||12.7|
|64||Swamp Dragon||3||The Netherlands||BLUE||67.0||15||4.5||5.0||22.3|
|66||DTS Ultimate aha||5||Lithuania||RED||56.0||10||5.6||2.0||11.2|
|67||The Disciples of the Supreme||4||Italy||RED||55.0||12||4.6||3.0||13.8|
|68||DTS Ultimate ayea||4||Lithuania||RED||52.0||9||5.8||2.3||13.0|
|71||The Aloha Jammers||2||U.S.A.||RED||46.0||8||5.8||4.0||23.1|
|74||Momo Unicorn Plastic||4||Canada, Hong Kong, Korea||RED||39.0||7||5.6||1.8||9.8|
|77||The Viking Jammers||3||Norway||BLUE||26.0||4||6.6||1.3||8.8|
|78||Spikeball Dance Class||6||Singapore||RED||21.0||4||5.3||0.7||3.5|
|79||WFDF SOTG Committee||5||Global||BLUE||16.0||2||8.0||0.4||3.2|
|2 vs 1||3||United Kingdom||BLUE||6.0||1||6.0||0.3||2.0|
|Guacamole||4||Argentina, New Zealand||BLUE||6.0||1||6.0||0.3||1.5|
|Sky This Warsaw||6||Poland||RED||4.0||1||4.0||0.2||0.7|
Did Not Finish: Ahmedabad Elites, Broken But Not Forgotten, CENADA FRIS B, Classic, Club Deportivo de Disco Volador Sabotage U.F., Disc Throwing Unicorns, Disculture, Duals, FAB Youngsters, Frisbeenaija, Frostbite Ultimate, G-String Assassins, Green Force F.D.C, Green Tea, House of Culture, Impala Huckers, InkaTeam, Jaramogi Ultimate, Kakamega Wolves, Kakamega Wolves 2, Kigali Flying Gorillas BLUE, Kigali Flying Gorillas RED, Koi, Korean Syndicate, Los Cocos, MRAZE Ambassadors, Pelestinian Eagles, Pizza Lovers, Potato, Roar, Rusty Blades, Samalesu, Stars Club Frisbee Mazandaran, SupaDisc, Superslavic Rabbits, Team 1, Team Banks, The Blady Bunch, The Bunkhouse, The Ghosts of Frisbee Past, The package/drunken Sailors, Three Green Men, UCV Ultimate Club, ulti.TV, Ultimate Casablanca, Ultimate Oscars, Voice of Ahmedabad, Windhuckers, Wolves Ultimate
Thank you all for playing! Stay safe, be spirited and see you in 2021!
The WFDF SOTG Committee